Mathematikon Entrance

Our Faculty is the academic home of researchers, teachers, and students of Mathematics and Computer Science. Its institutes and facilities are housed in the Mathematikon, pleasantly located on the Campus Neuenheimer Feld of Heidelberg University. Welcome!

Mathematikon Seminar Room

The Doctorate signifies a proven ability to conduct independent scientific research. Under the auspices of the Combined Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, we confer over 30 Doctoral degrees in the subjects of mathematics and computer science each year.

Mathematikon Library

Students interested in Mathematics, Computer Science, or an interdisciplinary field, pursuing a B.Sc., M.Sc., or M.Ed., and aiming for a career in research, reaching, or the private sector, will find here in Heidelberg a full range of first-class courses for a challenging and enriching educational experience in an intellectually stimulating environment with historical cachet.

Mathematikon Lobby

We seek to promote the interest in mathematics and computer science by organizing events for schools and for the broader public. Alumns and newcomers join in and contribute to shared knowledge and contacts.

home icon
envelope icon
Mathematikon Special View
Mathematics and Computer Science — Studies

Exchange Programs

The faculty supports several exchange programs that allow undergraduates, graduate students, and young scientists to broaden their academic and cultural perspectives through an experience abroad and to create a network of important contacts for the development of their careers.

These programs include:

  • Erasmus exchange programs (outgoing and incoming) in the fields of mathematics and computer science with a variety of European universities.
  • Cooperation with the partner universities of the 4EU+ alliance, which is currently being established
  • Exchange programs of the International Office and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
  • International PhD studies carried out within the framework of Cotutelle procedures.

This page mainly provides information on the Erasmus exchange program in mathematics, as well as links to the other options. If you are interested in the broad range of options for international mobility, please seek advice from returning students, instructors, and international researchers on site.

Please Note

The Erasmus coordination office Mathematics is back to normal operations since July 1, 2021. The usual office hours remain valid, ALBEIT only by phone, or by email after first contact. Because of the tight space, we can unfortunately not foresee when in-person office hours will again be possible.

ERASMUS Grants Mathematics (Outgoing Students)

    For the academic year 2021/2022, subject to approval, grants are available for students of mathematics to study for one or two semesters at a European partner university.

    Within the framework of the ERASMUS+ program, the exchange is expected to be with the following universities:

    • Leeds (England) / for Bachelor
    • Lund (Sweden) / for Bachelor and Master
    • Lyon (for Bachelor and Master), Orsay (for Bachelor), Montpellier (for Bachelor and Master), Chambéry (for Bachelor), Reims (for Bachelor and Master), Paris Sorbonne (for Bachelor, Master and PhD) (France)
    • Modena (for Bachelor and Master), Rome and Milan (for Bachelor, Master and PhD) (Italy)
    • Madrid (Spain) / for Bachelor and Master (students are required to have earned at least 240 ECTS beforehand) and PhD
    • Bergen, As (Norway) / for Bachelor, Master and PhD
    • Ankara (Bilkent University), Istanbul (Koc, University) (Turkey) / for Bachelor
    • Wien (Austria) / for Bachelor, Master and PhD
    • Prag (Czech Republic) / for Bachelor, Master and PhD
    • Kopenhagen (Denmark) / for Bachelor and Master
    • Warschau (Poland) (Politechnika and Universytet) / for Bachelor, Master and PhD

    Within the framework of the above-mentioned institutions, tuition fees are waived for students. At some universities there are also student residences and dorms available for ERASMUS students. In addition, students receive a partial grant to cover additional costs incurred during a stay abroad.

    Applicants are required to have completed their undergraduate studies or be in the 2nd year of their Bachelor's degree. Application documents are to be submitted ONLINE as a PDF in a single file in the following order:

    • informal request (see Erasmus Office instructions below)
    • Vordiplom certificate, intermediate examination certificate or transcript of records including the number of credits obtained  
    • evaluation by a university professor of mathematics
    • Curriculum vitae (including the student's nationality)
    • short letter of motivation
    • proof of adequate language proficiency

    Grant holders are required to submit various forms (Learning Agreement, Changes to Original Learning Agreement, Transcript of Records) before, during and after their stay and to write an experience report.

    Students with children as well as students with a level of disability (GdB) of at least 50 are eligible to apply for additional financial support to cover further costs incurred within the framework of the ERASMUS program. For further information, please contact Ms. Braye in the International Relations Department well before your stay abroad.

    Please send your application to the Erasmus Office Mathematics via email.

    Closing date for applications: 02/23/2021

    signed Prof. Dr. Peter Albers (Erasmus Officer for Mathematics)

    Information for Incoming Students

      Important Information concerning TRANSCRIPT OF RECORDS

      Experience has shown that a lot of incoming students take courses outside of the faculty of mathematics and informatics. In order to issue you a complete transcript of records, you need to supply us with the courses and certificates from the other faculties where you have taken courses. We have no access to this information otherwise as there is no central register. 

      Transcripts for all courses taken within the mathematics department (mathematics and scientific computing) can be obtained from the Mathematics exams&credits office.

      What this means for you, is that if you take courses outside of our faculty, it is your responsibility to obtain transcripts or proof for these courses and then bring them to us so that we can issue you a complete transcript of records.

      Erasmus Office Mathematics

      Elke Carlow
      Erasmus Office Mathematics

      Room 4/224
      Phone: +49 6221 54 14171

      Office hours for Erasmus affairs: Tuesdays, 9:45 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. or by arrangement


      Informal application

      In the informal application (all on a single page) the following data should be included: Your address, your German address during your stay abroad, your e-mail address, which is also valid during and after the stay abroad, your phone number, the country and university you are applying for and for which period you are applying (i.e. winter semester, summer semester or the full academic year). Please also mention possible other places that could be considered as a substitute for your exchange if your first choice does not work out.

      Prof. Dr. Peter AlbersErasmus-Coordinator Mathematics

      Room 3/405

      Prof. Dr. Peter Albers
      Office hours: Tuesdays, 9:45 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. or by arrangement with the Erasmus Office Mathematics, INF 205, Room 4/224, Phone: +49 6221 54-14171, Email

      Other Programs

      FAQs Exchange Programs

        Who signs the Learning Agreement of my Erasmus studies?

        The Erasmus representative of your study program.

        What should I do if I attend other courses abroad than those agreed upon in the Learning Agreement of my Erasmus studies?

        Write an e-mail to the examination office with the changes. Corresponding forms are available in the Form Center.

        How do I receive credit points from abroad in Heidelberg?

        You submit your transcript from the foreign university to our examination office; this can also be done by e-mail.

        Does there have to be an equivalent module in Heidelberg so that I can have an achievement from abroad credited?

        Of course, it helps if there is an equivalent module in Heidelberg. However, it is also possible to have other examination results recognized in consultation with the examination board of your degree program.

        How many credit points do I get for modules? How are grades converted into the German system?

        If the credit points at the foreign university are already specified in ECTS, these can be adopted. Otherwise, the credit points are determined in individual cases on the basis of the SWS studied. For the grades, there are university-internal conversion tables for each foreign university.

        Do language courses give credit?

        Yes, you can credit 4 SWS with 4 CP.

        Last updated on Sep 25, 2021 at 9:26 AM