The library contains around 72,000 books and journal volumes and holds numerous current journal subscriptions. It provides scientists and students at Heidelberg University with literature and specialized information on mathematics, computer science, scientific computing, computational linguistics, and other related topics.
The library is a reference library open to the public. It is equipped with a reading room, several individual workstations as well as group rooms and a meeting room with a projector. The comprehensive IT infrastructure provides students with an excellent workspace.
The library and designated student study areas in the building are available for use, but are restricted for everyone's protection due to the corona virus:
- Access to the building and thereby the use of the reading and working areas is only permitted after presentation of appropriate proof:
- proof of a complete vaccination against the corona virus, or
- proof of recovery
- Pre-registration by telephone is possible for the current day, no more than 90 minutes before arrival (+49 6221 / 54-14944). In case of late arrival the reserved spot will be forfeited
- Registration and issuance of place cards for the library and study areas in the foyers is possible upon presentation of the CampusCard at the information desk of the library.
- Face masks are mandatory on all walkways and at the seating areas!
- One-way routing in the area of the OPAC desk
- We register your UniID, place card number, and arrival as well as check-out times for contact tracking purposes. This data will be erased after 4 weeks
Front Desk Faculty Library
Im Neuenheimer Feld 205 (Mathematikon)
Mondays to Fridays: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
23 December - 9 January
We will be back for you from January 10th.
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Telefon: +49 6221 54 - 14944
|Reference Library||Borrowing only within the building for employees and exam candidates with proof from the supervisor|
|Systematics||As a rule, alphabetical listing by author/editor, for journals by title. Special locations for collective works, university publications and congresses|
|Work Spaces||Reading area; 3 group rooms accommodating 8 - 24 people each (some of them equipped with blackboards); 1 meeting room equipped with a projector for practicing presentations; six individual carrels; total of about 115 seats (currently reduced to 65)|
|IT Infrastructure||8 research computers; 1 computer pool with 12 workstations; copying, scanning or printing on a public CampusCard printer; access to the University Computing Center WiFi|
Catalogs in Heidelberg
- HEIDI - Online catalog for the entire Heidelberg library system
HEIDI-MA - Search the holdings of the Departmental Library of Mathematics and Computer Science
In the detailed display of the search results, the locations of the books can be identified by these abbreviations:
- MA = Departmental Library of Mathematics and Computer Science (BMI), INF 205
- MA-CL = Computer Linguistics, BMI, gallery, opposite the elevator
- MA-CLHB = Reference Library of Computer Linguistics, INF 325, 1st floor; requests @ Ms. Conrad / Ms. Suchowitz, Room 109a
- MA-HB = Reference library Mathematical Institute, BMI, basement, at the back on the left
- MA-InfHB = Reference Library Computer Science, BMI, basement, at the back on the left
- MA-NuHB = Reference Library Numerics, BMI, basement, at the back on the left
- MA-StHB = Reference Library Statistics, BMI, basement, at the back on the left
- MA-TIHB = Reference Library Computer Engineering, Central Institute for Computer Engineering (Ziti), INF 368; request @ the respective departments
National and International Catalogs
- K10plus - Bibliotheksverbund (online catalog for the verification of library holdings from the GBV and SWB network regions)
- KVK - Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog (book search engine for the verification of more than 500 million books and journals in library and book trade catalogs worldwide)
- EZB - Electronic Journals Library with nationwide indexing
- ZDB - Zeitschriftendatenbank (nationwide catalog of print and online journals)
Offprint Collection Paul Stäckel
Paul Gustav Stäckel (1862-1919) was a full professor at the Combined Faculties of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at Heidelberg University from 1913. After his death, the faculty acquired Stäckel's estate, including a special print collection, which is now in the library (location: Reservata room).
Please contact the library director if you have any questions.
Further Important Links
- SUB Göttingen - Special Library for Pure Mathematics
- TIB/UB Hannover - Special Library for Applied Mathematics and Computer Science
- Fachportal Mathematik der UB - Subject specific portal of the University Library (Mathematics)
- Fachportal Informatik der UB - Subject specific portal of the University Library (Computer Science)
- MSC 2010 - Mathematics Subject Classification
Document Delivery Service
- delivery service for articles available in the Heidelberg University Library
- only for staff members (with Uni ID)
- free of charge
- delivery time: approx. 72 hours
- delivery service of the University Library for books and articles not available in Heidelberg
- available to all University Library users
- cost per order: € 1.50
- employees in the Mathematikon receive individual TANs (transaction numbers) from the library director
- delivery time for books: depending on availability, 1 week or longer
- delivery time for journal articles: depending on availability, 1 to 2 days
- direct delivery service of German libraries for books and essays from all subject areas
- available to anyone
- registration required
- costs per order: starting at € 5.50 (scaled according to user group, size of order, delivery library and selected delivery time; see Subito price list)
- guaranteed delivery time: normal order: 3 working days; express order: 1 working day
Services Provided by the University Library
The University Library offers many other services for scientists and students, including:
- Subject specific portal of the University Library (Mathematics): The subject-related information provides an overview of the subject-specific, predominantly electronic services offered by Heidelberg University Library and offers guidance on the use of web-based information services.
- HeiBIB University Bibliography: All scientists who are employed full-time at the University of Heidelberg or the Heidelberg University of Education can register their publications here. These will be integrated into HEIDI in a timely manner and will then be searchable worldwide.
- Open Access Publication Services: information on the possibilities of publishing electronically in open access.
- Comptence Center for Research Data: The Competence Center for Research Data offers scientists at Heidelberg University central services for archiving and publishing research data.
- MyUB - Personalized Services: Here, among other things, personalized HEIDI profiles and RSS feeds can be created for books and media that have currently been added to the library system at Heidelberg University.
- Course offerings: The modular course offerings of the University Library teach skills for efficient and successful literature and information research.
- University Library (UB): homepage of the University Library with further search options
Faculty Library in the Mathematikon
Im Neuenheimer Feld 205
Room 99/307 (basement)
Opening hours: see library opening hours
Persons of Contact:
André Glaesel and Dimitri Maschinski
Phone (for urgent matters): + 49 6221 54-117 (IT-Service Point at the University Computing Center)
Software: Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2016, 7-Zip, Acrobat Reader, Libre Office, Firefox, PDF-Creator, IrfanView, Paint.NET, FreeMind, WinSCP, Notepad++, PuTTY Gen, ImgBurn, VLC Media Player, EndNote, Citavi und LaTeX (Texmaker, TeX Live).
For access, a normal URZ account (e.g. UNI-ID, project or conference account) is required.
Printing is possible on all Ricoh-FollowMe CampusCard printers, one device is located in the library.
Further information: User guidelines
University Computing Center (URZ)
Im Neuenheimer Feld 330
Opening hours and directions
Persons of Contact:
IT Service Point
Phone: +49 6221 54-117
Further information about the IT Service: https://www.urz.uni-heidelberg.de/de/support/it-service