FAQs Problems in Studying

I am not sure if the programme I am studying is right for me. Whom should I contact?

Please contact the student advisory service immediately if you have any doubts as to whether your programme is right for you. It is important to us that you are completely convinced of your choice and we are happy to talk to you about your problems. Many problems that students may encounter are already known to us and we can help to classify your difficulties and, if necessary, find ways out.

Heidelberg University also offers central advice for those who are doubtful of their studies. Your study situation may be dealt with less precisely there, but the employees in the central advisory service are specially trained psychologically for such questions and can offer valuable decision-making aids.

I have the feeling that I am not meeting the requirements of my studies. Whom should I contact?

The right contact for such questions is the academic advisory service. Please do not hesitate to contact us.

This question comes up particularly often in the first semester, as the presentation of the material takes place in a new way and at high speed. A word of reassurance at this point: Very few first semesters are able to follow their lectures in real time. To help you here, we offer extensive exercises for our lectures. If you (honestly) are able to score sufficient points on the exercise sheets week after week, then there is nothing to worry about!

What do I do if I am ill for a longer period of time during my studies?

It is possible to apply for a semester of illness through the central university administration. You need a corresponding certificate from your doctor in order to do this.