The doctoral degree is only conferred after proof of publication of the thesis within two years of the successful defense. The minimum requirement is the deposition of the thesis at the central University library. The published version must match the examination copy. Minor issues that might have arisen during the evaluation process can be addressed by the inclusion of an erratum.
To accomplish this task, the general procedure requires the following steps:
- Publication has to be confirmed within two years after the oral examination. If this is not complied with, the rights of the doctoral procedure will expire and the doctoral degree cannot be conferred on the basis of the dissertation that has been handed in.
- Upload the electronic version of the dissertation, please see the information of the library: Library forms, Publication at HeiDOK, and Electronic Publishing at HeiDOK.
- Collect one copy of the submitted dissertations (not corrected or improved versions), which will be sealed and signed by the Dean.
- Together with the form proof of thesis deposition and the copyright agreement (obtained from the Website of the library before uploading - see above) this copy of the dissertation has to be delivered to the university library in building INF 368 (weekdays 9:00am to 3:30pm).
- The form thesis deposition has to be filled in and signed by yourself and returned to the doctoral office after confirmation by the university library.
Should small corrections be requested for the published version of the thesis, the following procedure will be accepted as of December 6th, 2017:
- based on the version handed in for review, an erratum can be prepared containing corrections of the reviewers or the candidate.
- the contents of this erratum is to be approved by the committee in the defense
- for online publication through the university library a pdf-version can be added to the text as a prefix or an appendix; changes of the text itself are not permitted
- the hard copies of the dissertation for the University archive have to include a supplementary sheet securely fixed (pegged) into the three copies.
Congratulations! After proof of publication, the doctorate can be conferred. The original certificates are issued by the Combined Faculty of Mathematics, Engineering and Natural Sciences (comprising Bio Sciences, Chemistry & Earth Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Physics & Astronomy, and Mathematics & Computer Science), and may take up to 6 weeks to process.
You may receive the original certificates at the formal graduation ceremony of the combined faculty or by collecting them at the doctoral office.
The graduation ceremony is held in May or June for doctorates completed in the Winter term and in November or December for the Summer term. The Deans show up in gowns. If you decide to attend, the doctoral office may issue and mail out certified copies of the doctoral certificate ahead of time.
If you are unable to pick up the original certificate yourself, you can entrust someone else to do so on your behalf. This requires a written and signed authorization and photo ID.
In any case, you have to register or de-register your preference at the Combined Faculty for the doctoral office to receive the originals or issue the certified copies. Only after receipt of the certificate are you entitled to use the title Doctor of Natural Sciences / Doktor der Naturwissenschaften (Dr. rer. nat.).