FAQs Master Data and Computer Science
How do I choose my application area and which courses do I take there?
The field of application should continue the field of application from the Bachelor's degree. If this is not possible, for example due to a change of university, please clarify with the examination board how you can proceed. As a rule, it is not possible to include an introductory lecture in an application area as an examination credit in the Master's degree.
The Master's examination regulations do not prescribe which courses you have to attend in the application area. You basically have two options:
- You create a plan of courses in the application area in consultation with the student advisor of the application area, as they have an overview of which advanced courses are useful. You have this plan confirmed there and submit it to us in the examination office.
- You integrate an interdisciplinary project: For this purpose you have to look for a lecturer from computer science and from the application area and determine the content of the project and the necessary courses from the application area in consultation with these two lecturers. Again: At the beginning of the project, please ask both lecturers to confirm this specification and submit it to us in the examination office. If you do not have any contacts in the application area, first look for the person in Computer Science. This person can then probably establish contacts in the application area.
The 18 LP in the application area are to be taken through non-informatics modules at Bachelor's or Master's level. Of the 18 LP, up to 10 LP can be done through an interdisciplinary project.
- You have to have the choice of the application area and the modules or the project for it approved by the examination board Master Data and Computer Science before starting the module IAG. Of course, you can also use proposals that have already been approved.
- You have to submit a confirmation from the Dean of Studies (or the student advisor) of the application area, which approves this choice from the point of view of the application area and confirms it as reasonable.
- The selection of courses in the chosen field of application is binding and can only be changed in well justified exceptional cases.
- The modules in the application area must be graded, ungraded modules will only be accepted in well justified exceptional cases.
- If you want to do a project, a confirmation of the lecturers from both computer science and application area must be submitted. If you do not have contacts in an application area, first find the person in Computer Science. This person can then probably establish contacts in the application area.